Tour of Peel and the West
Peel, known as the Sunset City, is probably the most Manx of all the towns in the Isle of Man tracing its roots back over 8,000 years. St Patricks Isle, one of the smallest islands in the Irish Sea, first settled by hunter-gathers following the Ice Age and later by Neolithic farmers, then Celts and Vikings. The Vikings or Norsemen settled on the Island and St Patricks Isle was the site of a wooden fort and signs of a grand building were discovered during archaeological excavations in the 1980’s.
The Isle of Man became the seat of power for the Kingdom of Man and the Isles with Peel as its capital. Your tour of Peel will start in the shadow of Peel Castle, legendary home of the terrifying Moddhey Dhoo. From the castle you will venture on a journey of discovery to the site of the smallest mass produced car, the internment camps of Knockaloe, the legacy of Viking rule at St Johns and how Peel was linked with the sinking of the Lusitania by the Germans in WW1. And what on earth did they get up to on Witches Hill – nothing too pleasant I wager?
There will be time for refreshments on your return to Peel. Free transport to and from Peel can be arranged provided advance notice is given.
£30.00 per person
- Distance Covered – 12 miles
- Time Allowed – 2 hours
- Grade – Easy
- Group size – 4 people
What’s Included in the Price:
- Electric bicycles
- Tour guide
- Free return transfer to Peel (advance notice required)
Key to Map
- Peel Castle
- Peel P50 site
- House of Manannan
- Knockaloe Internment Camp site
- Tynwald Hill, St Johns
- Tynwald Mills retail outlet
- Peel promenade and quayside
Before Setting Off
- Bicycles are checked for your safety
- Each bicycle is set up for the individual cyclist
- Helmets, glasses, and hi-vis vests are provided
- Instructions are given on the operation of the electric bicycle
- You can test ride the bicycle in safety at the Sea Terminal before venturing out on to the road.
- Instructions are given by the guide on how the group will be lead.